This is Des Moines!
2017 marks the 90th anniversary of the founding of the Association of Midwest Museums and we can’t think of a better place to celebrate than the diverse, culturally rich, fast-growing city of Des Moines, Iowa!
Des Moines has been called “the next Austin” and is one of the cities of “Silicon Prairie,” referring to its success in drawing artists, entrepreneurs, innovators, and companies to the city. In 2014, two reporters from The Atlantic set out to understand the extraordinary rate at which millennials were moving to the city and documented what they found in their article “Do the Most Hipster Thing Possible: Move to Des Moines.”
This mid-sized city is booming and continues to receive accolades. Here are just a few:
- Ankeny Ranked as one of the most Playful Cities in the USA (May 19, 2016 Kaboom)
- Des Moines Ranked Best City for the Middle Class (March 7, 2016 BusinessInsider.com)
- Des Moines Ranked in Top 10 Hippest Mid-Sized Cities in America (March 1, 2016 Gogobot.com)
- Des Moines Ranked #4 on The Best Cities in America For Young Adults to Get Rich (November 16, 2015 MoneyUnder30.com)
- Dell Ranks Des Moines in America’s Most 25 Future-Ready Cities (October 21, 2015 Dell)
- Des Moines Art Center Named one of 19 Free Art Museums You Should Visit This Summer (May 19, 2015 Huffington Post)
Among the reasons that the city continues to be reviewed as a “best of” is its atmosphere – friendly, hip, and vibrant. Museums and other organizations have played a major role in enriching the lives of people in Des Moines and have helped to transform the city into a destination for students, young professionals, entrepreneurs, and corporations.
AMM is partnered with the Iowa Museums Association (IMA) to produce the conference for 2017 and we look forward to celebrating the long history of AMM and museums of the Midwest as well as the ability of museums to invest in and transform their communities over time. Des Moines is an excellent case study for museums serving as community anchors and, through collaboration, transforming their communities.
Learn more about Des Moines: catchdesmoines.com